Château Hochberg, originally named Château Teutsch after the family that had it built, is located on the site of the former Hochberg glassworks, which closed down in 1868. The last owners of the works, Victor and Edouard Teutsch, commissioned the building of this magnificent residence between 1863 and 1866. In keeping with the Second Empire style from the epoch of Napoleon III, Château Hochberg features imposing façades decorated with bands of pink sandstone, large-scale windows and handsome wrought iron balconies. For a number of years, the Hochberg glassworks was the centre of the Teutsch family’s professional commitments but also of their daily life, particularly that of Edouard Teutsch. He was fervent in his opposition to the annexation of Alsace and Lorraine by Germany. Nevertheless, he got himself elected as a member of the German parliament, the Reichstag, for the Saverne constituency. In 1874, he made a blistering speech of protest criticising the cession of territory. After that, he returned to France. Appointed to the position of Paymaster General by the French Republic, he left Wingen-sur-Moder and served in Auch, Mâcon, Epinal and finally Nancy where he took his retirement. From that time onwards, the Teutsch family stayed at the Château only during the summer. Following the death of Edouard Teutsch in 1908, the Château was sold. It passed through the hands of various owners and was classified as a historic building in 1996. In 2014, it was bought by Silvio Denz, Chairman and CEO of Lalique.
This manor house, which is closely linked with the traditions and savoir-faire of glassmaking, which are at the origins of Maison Lalique, is undergoing a renaissance. It opened on 12 August 2016 as a hotel aiming to obtain four-star status, complemented by an elegant modern bistro with a high quality creative cuisine that is reasonably priced.
A new chapter in the story of Château Hochberg is opening to provide locals and visitors alike with a convivial destination and a complementary offer close to Villa René Lalique, the ultra-sophisticated hotel and gourmet restaurant awarded with two Michelin stars.
Château Hochberg is ideally located, opposite the Lalique Museum, surrounded by a park covering 1.7 hectares. Even before entering through the high and imposing black gates of the property, visitors are captivated by the sight of the majestic building glimpsed at the end of the central tree-lined avenue. Climbing the steps to the main entrance, visitors are clearly aware that they are entering a place charged with history and that the spirit and soul of the building has been preserved. The restoration and decoration of the Château are the fruit of a close collaboration between Lalique Interior Design Studio, directed by Adeline Lunati, and Christine and Nicola Borella, founders of the Borella Art Design agency. The Studio offers architects and designers an exclusive range of high-end projects integrating crystal elements in spatial concepts. The agency is renowned for its expertise in developing concepts and realising customised projects in the luxury hotel and high-end gastronomy sector.
Lalique Interior Design Studio developed and realised a unique concept for Château Hochberg. The world of Lalique is brought to life with great finesse and a contemporary feel through the play of light created by panels in glass and crystal and Lalique mirrors placed in the rooms and communal areas of the establishment. Borella Art Design has given elegant expression to the concept, integrating crystal in an environment that is consistent with the world of Lalique. Entering the lobby, visitors are greeted by a space where the transparency and purity of crystal combine with the light colours of the furniture to create an atmosphere of harmony and softness. The reception desk, sculpted from a single block of white quartz and ornamented with laurel motifs, is suffused with soft, warm lighting and further enhanced by the choice of colour scheme in shades of grey and white. The decorative laurel panels on the walls were created by
René Lalique in 1923 to grace the carriages of the Orient Express, which took travellers from the banks of the Seine to the shores of the Bosporus. The Versailles parquet flooring, which welcomes visitors from the reception area passing through the bar, reinforces this air of elegance.